Difference between revisions of "Glossary"
From Winamp Developer Wiki
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
'''Breadcrumb''' -- [[Main_Page|Wiki Main]] : [[Skin Developer]] : [[Visual Developer]] : [[Plug-in Developer]] : [[Online Service Developer]] : [[Articles|Articles Page]] : [[Developers FAQ|FAQ]] : [[Glossary]]
== Glossary of Terms ==
== Glossary of Terms ==
Revision as of 04:25, 12 April 2010
Glossary of Terms
- Agent - Winamp's taskbar component. Maintains file type associations.
- APE - Advanced Plug-in Effect. Third party Effect Module created for AVS.
- AVS - Advanced Visualization Studio comes bundled with Winamp. Allows endless user customization.
- Base Skin - The standard skin built into Winamp. Also the downloadable template used to create new skins.
- Bookmark - Winamp feature that allows quick access to favorite songs or streams.
- Codec - Short for coder/decoder. A software program for converting between digital data and analog signals. Winamp uses codecs to play many different kinds of audio files.
- Developer - Any one who creates a skin or writes an application or plug-in for Winamp.
- Discussion List - A mailing list hosted by Winamp.com to help foster the developer community.
- DLL - Dynamically Linked Library. A Win32 property that allows Winamp's plug-in architecture.
- DoubleSize Mode - Winamp option that doubles the width and height of the Main and Equalizer components.
- DSP Plug-in - A plug-in that manipulates audio data before being sent to the speakers.
- Easter Egg - A programming term used for a hidden, often humorous feature.
- Equalizer - Winamp component that allows audio tweaking for optimal sound quality.
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions.
- Forum - A message board hosted by Winamp.com to help foster the Winamp community.
- Flounder - Any of various marine flatfishes of the families Bothidae and Pleuronectidae, which include important food fishes.
- General Purpose Plug-in - A plug-in that does not require access to audio data.
- Input Plug-in - A plug-in that adds a new file type to Winamp's list of supported types.
- IPC - Inter-process communication. Basically, anytime one program communicates with another.
- Language Pack - A special plug-in that translates most Winamp text.
- Llama - A domesticated South American ruminant mammal (Lama glama) related to the camel, raised for its soft, fleecy wool. The only animal fully endorsed by Nullsoft.
- Mini-browser - Winamp component that allows internet browsing during audio play.
- MP3 - MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3. A digital audio compression algorithm that acheives a compression factor of about twelve while preserving sound quality.
- NSDN - Nullsoft Developers Network. The developers source for official Nullsoft information.
- NSIS - Nullsoft Scriptable Install System. Nullsoft's in-house installer utility. Required for plug-in installation.
- Nullsoft - Group of benevolent artisans who revolutionize the computer world on a regular basis.
- Output Plug-in - A plug-in that directs audio flow to one or more destinations.
- PiMP - Plug-in Mini Packager. Predecessor to NSIS.
- PMP - Portable Media Player. Creative Zen, Apple iPod, etc. Not to be confused with the original name for NSIS (PiMP).
- Playlist Editor - Winamp component that allows easy sorting and sequencing of audio files.
- Plug-in - Basis of Winamp architecture. Allows third parties to add functionality to Winamp by "plugging in" additional code.
- Preset - Visually pleasing sequence of Effect Modules in AVS or Milkdrop.
- SDK - Software Development Kit. All the tools you need to perform a programming job.
- SHOUTcast - Nullsoft's internet streaming MP3 solution.
- Skin - Interchangeable visual interface for Winamp.
- Visualization Plug-in - A plug-in that uses audio data to drive graphics.
- WAL - Required format for Modern skins before submittal.
- WAV - Widely used uncompressed audio format. Usually more than 10X larger than MP3.
- Winamp - The ultimate high-fidelity music player for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Winamp supports MP3, CD and other audio formats, not to mention hundreds of plug-ins and thousands of skins.
- Winamp.com - Official website of Winamp. Houses all approved skins, plug-ins, updates, forums, etc.
- WindowShade Mode - Winamp option that shrinks most components to a narrow bar with only most basic functionality.
- WSZ - Required format for Classic skins before submittal.
- WVS - Obsolete name for AVS.